Background: In this case report, a retroperitoneal hematoma developed after an uncomplicated cesarean section.
Case report: A 37-year-old patient with a term pregnancy was hospitalized for elective cesarean section with the diagnosis of repeated cesarean section. A live female baby of 3040 grams was delivered. There was no complication during surgery. The patient was transferred to the service postoperatively. Fainting sensation, tachycardia, tachypnea, and hypotension occurred in the first postoperative hour. In the CT scan, a 108x105 mm hematoma was observed in the right lateral retroperitoneal area of the uterus. When the hemoglobin value was 6.9 on the postoperative 1st day, 2 Units of erythrocyte suspension and 2 Units of fresh frozen plasma were given to the patient, The patient's vital signs remained stable for 4 days postoperatively.
Conclusion: The retroperitoneal hematoma is a potentially life-threatening condition. Conservative or surgical treatment should be applied according to clinical findings.
(1) Rafi J, Muppala H. Retroperitoneal haematomas in obstetrics: literature review. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2010;281(3):435-441. doi:10.1007/s00404-009-1282-y
(2) Sunga KL, Bellolio MF, Gilmore RM, Cabrera D. Spontaneous retroperitoneal hematoma: etiology, characteristics, management, and outcome. J Emerg Med. 2012;43(2):e157-e161. doi:10.1016/j.jemermed.2011.06.006
(3) Dizajmehr SG, Fakari FR, Ghasemian M. Conservative treatment of huge retroperitoneal puerperal hematoma: case report. IIMMIN. 2019;4(2):1- 3.
(4) Bisseling CH, Hassan R, Francis HC. Conservative management of a spontaneous retroperitoneal haematoma following caesarean section secondary to an arteriovenous malformation: a rare case. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2014;34(2):194. doi:10.3109/01443615.2013.835304
(5) Maroyi R, Ngeleza N, Kalunga K, et al. Large retroperitoneal hematoma following vaginal delivery: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2021;15(1):290. Published 2021 May 24. doi:10.1186/s13256-021-02870-x
(6) Perez LL. Spontaneous retroperitoneal bleed 24 hours postpartum: a case report. Osteopathic Family Physician. 2011;3,120-122.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2023 Ayşe Nur Aksoy, Berrin Goktug Kadioglu, Mehmet Emin Aksoy, Sibel Ejder Tekgunduz, Nurcan Yoruk